How to add spam filters in Mozilla Thunderbird
This article describes how to add spam filters in all versions of Mozilla Thunderbird for use with the new anti-virus/anti-spam system at Fermilab. The new system will be implemented on August 23; however, you may set your filters ahead of time with no negative effect.
Step One: Subcribe to Junk-Email folder
1) In Thunderbird, look for a folder named Junk E-mail--most likely at the same level as your Inbox, Drafts and Sent folders, as illustrated below:
2) If your Junk E-mail folder DOES NOT appear, right-click Inbox:
3) Select Subscribe:
4) Scroll down to Junk E-mail and check box next to it:
5) Click OK.
6) Your Junk E-mail folder will appear as a subscribed folder:
7) Proceed to Step Two.
If your Junk E-mail folder appears, you may proceed to "Step Two: Set Message Filters."
Step Two: Set Message Filters
1) In Thunderbird, select menu item Tools > Message Filters.
The "Message Filters" window will appear:
2) In the "Message Filters" window, click New.
The "Filter Rules" dialog box will appear:
3) In the "Filter Rules" window, under Filter name, type "Junk E-Mail".
4) In the same window, next to "Apply filter when," select Checking Mail in the drop-down menu.
5) In the bullet list below Checking Mail, select Match any of the following
6) In the first box on the next line, select Customize in the drop-down menu.
The"Customize Headers" window will appear.
7) Enter "X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL"into the text box, then click on Add:
When complete, the window should look like this:
8) Click OK.
The "Customize Headers" window will close.
9) Back in the "Filter Rules" window, click the "Customize" drop-down list. Select the header you just created:
10) In the "contains" drop down list to the right, select is, and in the text box to the right, type "5".
11) Click on the Plus (+) button to the right of the text box that reads 5, a total of (3) three times.
You should now see a total of (4) rows with the first one labeled "5." In the subsequent text boxes, type "6", "7", and "8", as below:
12) In the"Perform these actions" section, set the first drop-down list to Set Junk Status to.
13) Set the drop-down list to the right to "Junk."
14) Press the + button.
15) Set the newly-created drop-down list to Move Message to
16) Set the next drop-down list to Junk E-Mail folder from the drop down list,as below:
17) Click OK.
Your Thunderbird email client is now able to filter spam.