Macs at Fermilab
This article provides general information on the support for Fermilab-owned Macs.
Supported versions of macOS
- High Sierra v10.13
- Sierra v10.12
- El Capitan v10.11
Supported Mac Software
Most supported software is available as part of the default install of macOS or through the Self-Service application. If an application is not pre-installed, not available through Self-Service, and not listed below, that software may be licensed software and will require a Software request through the Service Desk.
Available through Self Service application:
- Cisco AnyConnect VPN client
- Citrix Reciever
- Kerberos - The standard krb5.conf is available through Self Service. Link has been provided if you need a copy to edit or for other use.
- Mersive Solstice
- Microsoft Office 2016, including Outlook 2016
- Microsoft OneDrive
- Microsoft Remote Desktop Client
Installed with macOS
Q: How can I check what updates have been installed in macOS?
A: Instructions to view installed updates are available in KB0010499
Q: What updates are available?
A: For a list of approved updates see KB0011722
Q: How can I connect to Fermilab VPN when using an iOS device (e.g., iPhone or iPad)?
A: To set up and use Cisco AnyConnect client on an iPhone/iPad, see KB0010394
Unsupported versions of macOS (OS X)
- OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and older
- OS X 10.7 (Lion) end of life 01/12/2015
- OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) end of life 12/14/2015
- macOS Mavericks 10.9 end of support 12/01/2016
- macOS Yosemite v10.10 end of life 11/10/2017
- Fermilab Mac Users mailing list
- Apple Security Updates
- Change Services Account Password
- How to change your Kerberos password for the UNIX/Linux/Mac domain
- Fermilab Computer Security
- Fermilab Computing Policy
- Apple Federal Employee Purchase Program